Yekaterina (Katya) Medvedeva was born 1937 in the village Golubino of Novooskolsky District in Belgorod Oblast into a peasant family. Her parents died of starvation in 1947, and she was brought up in the Shusha’s orphanage of the Nagorno-Karabakh autonomous region Azerbaijan SSR. In her life, she worked at many different jobs, including: a waitress, postwoman, weaver, teacher, costume designer.
In 1976 (aged 39), by chance, she observed a painting class in an arts studio and decided to paint herself, with prolific output. Her paintings were soon recognised by art critics and she began to have exhibitions. Her works are now in public and private collections.
- First solo show, Russia, 1976
- Regional exhibition of amateur artists in Belgorod, Russia, 1979
- Solo show at the All-Russian folk Art House, Moscow, Russia, 1981
- Solo show at the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, Paris, France, 1993
- An exhibition together with Marc Chagall, Matisse and Konysheva Natta in Nice, France, 1994
- Solo show “My soul – Painting” from private collections, collections of the Museum-Reserve “Tsaritsyno” and the Russian House of Folk Art, Museum of Private Collections of the Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts, Moscow, Russia, 2004
- The Bolshoi Theatre. M’Ars Centre for Contemporary Arts, Moscow, 2005
- “Doubts of Beauty” – T.A. Mavrina, Katya Medvedeva. Painting & Graphics at the State Pushkin Museum, Moscow, Russia, 2005
- Painting and Graphic Art 30th Anniversary of the Artist′s Oeuvre. The State Russian Museum, St. Petersburg, Russia, 2005
- Solo show at the Vologda State Historical-Architectural and Art Museum-Reserve,Volga, Russia, 2005
- The Generous Pancake week. The Art-Soyuz Gallery at the Central House of Artist, Moscow, Russia, 2008
- Paintings, Drawings and DolIs of Katya Medvedeva. Art Centre Berlin, Germany, 2008
- 12 good art work “Saint George and the Dragon”, Gallery A3,Moscow, Russia, 2008